Friday 10 February 2012

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler by Robert Sadler with Marie Chapian

Back Cover:  So many thoughts twirl in my head... I want to think back as far as I can rembmer - think on things I had long ago buried and let stay buried. There were things I never told anyone. Now is the time to tell it, though. Help me remember it, Lord, so I can tell it just the way it was.

Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five - by his own father. Originally published in 1975, this is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others borne out of his experience. You won't forgt this poignant true story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry.


Review: It is very difficult to describe this book, but in a word? Incredible. Thinking back on Robert Sadler's story I am flooded with a tumultuous sea of emotion - horror, sadness, grief, anger, awe, thanksgiving, and finally joy at God's miraculous workings. It is unbelievable to think that men and women were still kept as slaves even after the emancipation, but Robert's story proves that horrific fact to be true. The first half of this book made me sick as I read the horrific details of Robert's life as a slave - a life that he was thrust into by his own father at the tender age of five. How can people be so cruel to each other? How can family fail in such a dramatic way? Robert's life story is so awful I didn't want to believe it was true. But just when I thought there was no hope left for Robert, God enters into the story. Even when an earthly father fails like Robert's did our Heavenly Father never does. God's grace and miraculous workings in Robert's life will probably move you to tears - as it did me - and leave you in awe at the mighty power and incredible providence of our Lord. This truly is an amazing story, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Everyone should read this book.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group
"

No comments:

Post a Comment