Saturday 19 May 2012

A Love Forbidden by Kathleen Morgan


Book: A Love Forbidden by Kathleen Morgan
Series: Heart of the Rockies

Back Cover: Moved by a compassionate heart and the desire for adventure, twenty-year-old Shiloh Wainwright impulsively accepts a teaching position at the White River Indian Agency in northwestern Colorado. Eager to use her skills to help improve the lives of the Ute Indian children, she looks forward to a fulfilling, independent life on the Colorado frontier.

But her new job isn’t what she imagined it would be, and Shiloh soon finds herself caught in the cross fire between the Utes, their unyielding Indian agent, and a demanding US government. Her unexpected encounter with a half-Ute childhood friend, Jesse Blackwater, only complicates matters as they battle their growing feelings for each other amidst spiraling tensions that threaten to explode into a catastrophic uprising.


Review: “A Love Forbidden” is definitely going to be a re-read.

I loved the plot that swirled about Jesse and Shiloh, their heart-melting romance, and the family drama. Shiloh was girlish and sweet yet entertainingly bull-headed and exasperatingly tenacious. Jesse was dark and brooding, protective and ferocious, and of course, highly infuriating in his stubborn ways. Generally, two characters like this is enough to make me thoroughly enjoy a quick read and happily write a positive review.

However, there was something about this book that really got to me, and it took me a while to figure it out. While driving to work this morning, I suddenly knew what it was. In this novel, Kathleen Morgan captured the idealistic nature, the impulsivity, the ‘I can change the world!’, and the dangerously optimistic nature of the girl I was 8 months ago and the girl Shiloh was when she started out on her adventure. Like Shiloh, I was armed with an education and lofty ideals, and I thought I too could travel to places unknown and drastically alter their futures forever! The only thing was…is that it wasn’t ‘them’ who was altered - I was the one who was changed, just like Shiloh.

I thought my adventure would be challenging and exciting – just like in the stories - but what actually happened was a lot scarier than I had ever dreamed. One of the definitions of adventure is: “A bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome”. How true. Without giving away what happens in the book, I can tell you that Shiloh certainly found herself in precarious situations that she had not anticipated as well – though she had a handsome man to rescue her!

As I stated before, this book is going on my favourite shelf, and I would definitely recommend it.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

1 comment: