Tuesday 30 October 2012

Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson

Back Cover: Ann Silver is a cop's cop. As the Midwest Homicide Investigator, she is called in to help local law enforcement on the worst of cases, looking for answers to murder. Hers is one of the region's most trusted investigative positions.

Paul Falcon is the FBI's top murder cop in the Midwest. If the victim carried a federal badge or had a security clearance, odds are good Paul and his teem see the case file or work the murder.

Their lives intersect when Ann arrives to pass a case off her desk and onto his. A car wreck and a suspicious death offer a lead on a hired shooter he is tracking. Paul isn't expecting to meet someone, the kind that goes on the personal side of the ledger, but Ann Silver has his attention.

The better he gets to know her, the more Paul realizes her job barely scratches the surface of who she is. She knows spies and soldiers and U.S. Marshals, and has written books about them. She is friends with the former vice president. People with good reason to be cautious about who they let into their lives deeply trust her. Paul wonders just what secrets Ann is keeping, until she shows him the John Doe Killer case file, and he starts to realize just who this lady he is falling in love with really is...

Review: Dee Henderson is one of my favourties. Let me explain just how much I like her books. I have three places where I keep my rather extensive collection of books. The first is in my bedroom on a small shelf my grandfather made for me when I was a little girl. This is where my favies go - the books that are creased from having been read and re-read and re-read.... The second place is in my closet. Where there should be shoes and clothes, I have stacks of books. These are the books that I like, but not enough to have within easy reach. The third place is out in the shop where I have a tower of labeled storage boxes. These are books that I like, and when I have my own library room one day I will set them out, but books that I can probably do without re-reading. Dee Henderson has two full series on my grandfather's shelf. By far, she is the most represented author. So yes, I was ecstatic when I heard that Dee was writing another novel.

As it was, I liked Full Disclosure, but it is a closet book. The dazzling brilliance of the O'Malley series and the Uncommon Heroes series just didn't continue for Paul Falcon and Ann Silver's love story. It felt like it took effort to write. Paul and Ann were both well developed characters and their backgrounds were extensively laid out. The supporting characters of the O'Malleys was a great touch and it was great 'meeting' those characters again. The writing style was typical Dee - great. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was just something missing with this novel. The pace was slow and there really was no rapid-page-flipping, white-knuckled moments.

I wasn't completely disappointed with Full Disclosure - I still read it in two days! - and the character of Ann was very relatable. She is such a strong woman and she is so content being single. She doesn't need a man in her life, and she's not willing to get married 'just because'. Ann has never settled, and she is completely at ease living her life, working her job, enjoying her friends, and building her relationship with God without a husband - I love that about her. She's the kind of girl I aim to be, and reading her thoughts was refreshing and encouraging. I really liked her character.

Overall, I would recommend Full Disclosure, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the 'to be read' pile.

Thanks to Graf-Martin for the copy!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group"


No comments:

Post a Comment