Friday 16 August 2013

Surviving an Affair


Back Cover: Infidelity is one of life's most painful experiences for everyone involved - the betrayed spouse, the children, the extended family members, and even the lover and wayward spouse. Once trust is broken, how can a couple ever home to reconcile?

In Surviving an Affair, Drs. Harley and Chalmers help you understand every aspect of infidelity - from the beginning of an affair through the restoration of the marriage. They describe:

- Why affairs begin and end
- How to end an affair
- How to restore the marriage
- How to manage resentment and rebuild trust

Surviving an Affair guides you step by step from the devastating blow of infidelity to a loving and trusting marriage.

Review: This was a bit of a strange book for me to read through. Even now, I am not sure why I requested this title, but it was interesting. From the view point of a woman who is not, thank the Lord, in a relationship where infidelity is a problem, it was still a beneficial read. What I appreciated was the discussion on how to reconcile a marriage. A lot of this advice was solid even for a relationship that is on good ground.

There are a lot of checklists to exam your relationship against and how you are treating your spouse. It makes you take a step back and ask yourself, "Am I doing everything I can to make my relationship the best I can?" and "Am I missing something that is key?" and "Is my relationship healthy?" This book really made me think and also gave me some ideas on how to, ironically, keep my relationship strong so that - Lord willing - I will never have to go through the pain of an affair.

This book is certainly written for people who are directly or indirectly involved with an affair, and I would suggest this book to such people. However, it was not a waste of time for me to read it, even though I am not the intended audience.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications , Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group"

No comments:

Post a Comment