Wednesday 29 October 2014

With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden

Back Cover: In the shadow of the nation's capital, Kate Livingston's respectable life as a government worker is disrupted by an encounter with the insufferable Trevor McDonough, the one man she'd hoped never to see again. A Harvard-trained physician, Trevor never showed the tiniest flicker of interest in Kate, and business is the only reason he has sought her out now.

Despite her misgivings, Kate agrees to Trevor's risky proposal to join him in his work to find a cure for tuberculosis. As Kate begins to unlock the mysteries of Trevor's past, his hidden depths fascinate her. However, a shadowy enemy lies in wait, and Trevor's closely guarded secrets are darker than she suspected.

As revelations from the past threaten to destroy their careers, their dreams, and even their lives, Trevor and Kate find themselves in a painfully impossible situation. With everything to lose, they must find the strength to trust that hope and love can prevail over all.


Review: This book found its way into my backpack on my most recent trip… my honeymoon! And yes, I read the entire thing. Considering the fantastic nature of my honeymoon, it certainly says something for this novel that I completed it on the trip! The book had me so hooked that I was sneaking pages every chance I got…while my husband parked the car, waiting at the airport, watching the bags while my hubby got us dinner…you name it. If I had a spare alone minute, it was spent with this book. Unfortunately, I took it to the beach so it is now a rather shrivelled, pathetic looking thing, but it's still readable!

Elizabeth Camden is really a great author. What I love about this book is that it isn't just a romance story. It kept me on the edge of my seat because it is a thrilling read. There is the whole aspect of the dreaded tuberculosis, the on-edge relationship between Kate and Trevor, old feuds, family strife, sabotage, crime, love…this book has it all!

I really liked both the characters of Kate and Trevor. Kate's disdain for Trevor is so real - and so valid - and his character is so largely unlikable, that it is almost impossible to believe that any romance could come from the two of them…EVER. Yet somehow, a very stubborn, unemotional man and a sharp-witted, sensitive, rather-high-strung young woman with a very old grudge do manage something much different than hate. Though, I wonder if Kate will ever live down calling Trevor the "Insufferable"… not exactly the most common sweetheart term, is it?

The was a fantastic story with great dialogue, wonderfully believable characters, and a sound plot. I very much recommend!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Bethany House and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from BakerBooks, a division of Baker Publishing Group"

No comments:

Post a Comment