Monday 15 June 2015

Buried Secrets by Irene Hannon

THEY BOTH WANTED QUIETER, SAFER LIVES. BUT CRIME NEVER SLEEPS…
AND KILLERS KEEP KILLING.

After years as a Chicago homicide detective, Lisa Grant is ready for the kinder, gentler life of a small-town police chief. But the discover of a human skeleton by a construction crew at the edge of town taxes department resources. Enter ex-Nacy SEAL Mac McGregor, the detective sent by the county to assist on the case. As they work to solve the mystery behind the unmarked grace, danger begins to shadow them. Someone doesn't want this dead person telling any tales - and will stop at nothing to make certain a life-shattering secret stays buried.


Review:

This is the first book of the Men of Valoor series by Irene Hannon. Yes, that's right… there is a new series by this fabulous author! Her crime series are epic, and I am so excited for this trilogy. I'm making a guess that this will be a trilogy because she seems to like those and Mac (the awesome Navy SEAL in this book) has two single brothers…. so connect the dots.

I really really liked "Buried Secrets"; I'll try and break down my thoughts as to why I liked it so much. First of all, Irene Hannon has created some memorable characters. Our ex-Navy SEAL is fabulous: handsome, fit, intense, smart, and ready for a relationship. Lisa, the police chief, is just as wonderful as our SEAL, and she has some pretty interesting "surprises" (I won't get into that here) up her sleeve too. She's smart, tough, and capable… yet at the same time, feminine. I loved this couple. As for the "bad guys", they were perhaps the best part of this book. So many mysteries have the "bad guys" as downright evil, and you have no choice but to hate them.  The criminals in this story are a lot more complicated than that … and it made for a fascinating read. I actually felt sympathy for them, which really drew me into both sides of the story.

Secondly, the plot was excellent. It had all the typical twists and turns I've come to expect from Hannon. It truly was a surprising read and I loved how it all played out.

Thirdly, it was a nail biter. I can label this book as a suspense and really stand behind that statement. Every time I had to put it down the waiting half drove me crazy… I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next.

I SO enjoyed this book!

Thanks Graf-Martin!

As a little side-note, Burried Secrets is a bit gruesome and there are some rough scenes, but for an adult reader this book is completely appropriate (I'd say, about 15 years old and up?)

"Book has been provided courtesy of Revell and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from BakerBooks, a division of Baker Publishing Group"


No comments:

Post a Comment