Tuesday 14 August 2018

The 49th Mystic by Ted Dekker

Back Cover: 

Some say the great mystery of how one can live in two worlds at once died with Thomas Hunter many years ago. Still others that the gateway to that greater reality was and is only the stuff of dreams.

They are wrong. 

In the small town of Eden, Utah, a blind girl named Rachelle Matthews is about to find out just how wrong.

When a procedure meant to restore Rachelle's sight goes awry, she begins to dream of another world so real that she wonders if Earth might only be a dream experienced when she falls asleep in that reality. 

She is the prophesied one who must find and recover five ancient seals--in both worlds--before powerful enemies destroy her. If Rachelle succeeds in her quest, peace will reign. If she fails, both worlds will forever be locked in darkness.

So begins a two-volume saga of high stakes and a mind-bending quest to find an ancient path that will save humanity. The clock is ticking; the end rushes forward. 

Ready? Set?

Dream.

Review: A week has gone by since I finished this book, and I am still digesting it. There are so many layers to this novel and so much to chew on that it's hard to even decide where to start with writing this review. To be honest, I really just want to pick it up and read it all over again - and then try and formulate my thoughts and feelings into a coherent opinion that won't be 10,000 words long. 

Unfortunately, life is hectic and reading a book once is a challenge .... twice isn't an option! So, I will have to try and muddle through this review with a single read-through. First, you might be asking why I'm having so much trouble giving my opinion on this book (for those of you that read this blog, you know I don't have trouble giving my opinion)? To be honest, it's because this book made me think deeply, which is not something that most novels do. Second, it's because this book was so good that I really want to do it justice.

Ted Dekker gives an incredibly powerful message within the pages of 49th Mystic, and that message in inescapable. He dives deep into several meaty theological concepts, all centered around the question, "Who is God?". Through his use of imagination/fantasy, Ted Dekker personifies good versus evil, angels and our Savior versus the devil and his demons, in character form. Through this story, you get to witness the power and struggle of both sides from the vantage point of the characters Ted Dekker brings to life. The result is a lasting and vivid impression on one's mind.

From a story perspective, our main protagonist, Rachelle, is alive in two time periods of our earth. When she is awake she is present in our time, and when she dreams she is present in the future. What happens to her in one dimension stays with her in the other. I won't say any more lest I give away too much, but Rachelle is an unique individual and it is her quest to uncover the five seals (truths about God's identity), in both realities, in order to save the world. 

I had some trouble understanding this novel and getting into it for the first few chapters, and honestly I almost gave up on it. However, once I got into the swing of things I couldn't put it down and ended up staying up half the night finishing it. The 49th Mystic isn't a light read and I wouldn't recommend it to somehow who simply wants some light entertainment for a summer afternoon. That being said, I would highly encourage you to read this book if you are up for something with some depth and that will really challenge you to consider your own beliefs and faith. And just in case I'm making this book sound boring, it isn't. It's highly entertaining. 

Thanks so much to Graf Martin Communications and Baker Publishing House for a copy of this book - I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment