Monday 22 April 2024

Hunting Sirens by Mary Mecham


Review: 
Another new author for me! This is my first book by Mary Mecham; I kept seeing her name in my Instagram feed and decided to give her novels a try. I’m glad I did.

 

This is book two in the series, but it read perfectly fine as a stand alone. I loved that Treva, our heroine, was deaf. It was fascinating read a story from her perspective... you don't realize how much you, as a reader, use audio cues until they are gone. Mary Mecham did an admirable job of helping the reader understand and navigate Teva's  silent world by leaning into her other senses. Her use of different fonts and italicise to show sign language communication and other cues was brilliant. For this reason alone, every author should read this book. It is a real study on how to adapt to a character that is missing a key sense. I've written a blind character before, but I think that is a lot easier than a deaf one. I’m was impressed.

 

The story itself was engaging… I loved the flip gender role of the siren vs warrior. This book is definitely a one-sit read. By chapter three I was invested and needed to know what was going to happen. The interactions between Teva and the siren are fascinating. I really enjoyed this story.

 

Back Cover: She was destined to hunt sirens to extinction… but can she complete her mission before one of them captures her heart?


Trapped on an island nation and surrounded by bloodthirsty sirens, the starving people of Haven Harbor are losing hope. Treva, a Deaf blacksmith immune to the tempting call of the sirens lurking in the deep, steps into the perilous role of Siren Hunter. If she can rid the waters of enough sirens, her people could be free at last.

Unbeknownst to her, another creature dwells in the sea, even more ferocious than the dreaded sirens. When Treva faces the monster and loses, her life is saved by a handsome siren who has no voice. Can mortal enemies set their differences aside long enough to unite their nations? Or will Treva ignore her growing feelings and finish what she started?

Treva is certain of one thing—that the famed Siren Hunter of Haven Harbor would never fall for one of her prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment