Thursday 23 August 2012

Stress Point by Sarah Francis Martin

Back Cover: Body Image. Friendship. Career. Money. Dating. All these issues and more serve as points of stress for the 20-something woman, and combined they can make for a decade of drama in a girl's life. Sarah Francis Martin is the slightly older girlfriend who's been there, done that, and got the not-so-cute t-shirt. Through this interactive Bible study, Sarah helps young adult women address each stress point by encouraging them to wait on the Lord, worship Him, and make Him the focus of their lives.
Review: I was asked by Graf Martin Communications to review this Bible study because I was highly qualified for the job. Meaning, I am a 20-something female. My mom saw this study sitting on my bed, picked it up, and started laughing. I asked her what was so funny, and she replied that if a book cover could summarize me as an individual, this was it. She didn't even know what the book was about.

I didn't relate to all the topics in this book, but I found many of them thought provoking and quite applicable to where I am in life. I think Sarah Martin touched on a lot of topics that are appropriate to girls my age: career, body image, love, friends, family, money, independence, and spiritual maturity. I love being in my twenties - it's great! But yes, there are a few things that make it a rather interesting time. School is over and the career is starting, there is that expectation that you are going to start finding your future spouse (dating - yikes!), your social life (ie....your life...) revolves around your friends, you feel pressured to look your best (because, according to all those frustrating voices, you'll never look better than you do now!), and you're now paying bills and trying to figure out how to use your money wisely... So, in the midst of all this, how does a girl keep her focus on the One who should be the most important point in her life? 

What I appreciated about this study was how it didn't focus on re-telling the world's point of view and reiterating the stresses that the world pushes on young women. We all know we are supposed to be size 4. Nothing new there. Or that by the time you are in your 20s, you should have a pretty good handle on the opposite sex. Huh...

This book briefly covered these 'stress points' and then dove into a study about what the Bible says regarding the subject and how a God-fearing woman should act in a way that brings honor to the Lord as well as herself. 

I really enjoyed going through this study, and yes, I would recommend it to other young women my age. 

"Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 
Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson
"

No comments:

Post a Comment