Monday 17 July 2023

Hearts by Brittany Eden


Eighteen-year-old pencil artist Elizabeth Rhodes is on the cusp of a breakthrough art commission that could cement her future career: the debut of her drawings at L'étoile dans les Ténèbres, the social calendar's biggest art auction hosted by renowned art collector and gracious philanthropist Madame Penelope Garcon.


Concealing her true identity as the mysterious artist Briar Rose-whose name and fame she inherited at the deathbed request of her beloved Aunt-Elizabeth decides to accept the terms her dapper and elderly benefactor Sterling Figgleston negotiates for the debut of Briar Rose's new series, Hearts.

But when the mental illness she's been hiding threatens to expose her charade to the boy she's loved since childhood, and with her estranged parents slated to make an appearance at L'étoile dans les Ténèbres, will Elizabeth find the courage to break the curse and open her heart, or will she lose her one chance at true love by revealing her heart's darkest secrets? 

Review: This book is special for several reasons. First, for the first time in my life, I had the privilege of meeting the author in person before reading the book. This was an unique and fascinating experience. As we sipped tea and chatted all things bookish, I quickly realized that I was in the presence of someone who embodied the term 'lovely' both inside and out. It soon become apparent that her book was the same. The second reason I call this book special is the actual writing. Brittany handles words with such deftness... it reminds me of someone delicately swiping a canvas with watercolour paints. The words are flowing, beautiful, and the style heartbreaking lovely. They remind me of the author herself. Third, this story is special. Necessary. Hearts handles the sensitive topic of mental health and panic attacks in a way that sings, "You are beautiful. You are loved. It is okay not to be perfect. You are not broken." What a message. I'll admit it took me a little bit to fully understand and fall into the swing of this beautiful novel (likely the fault of my chaotic brain this week), but once I did I could not stop reading it. When I turned the final page, I honestly felt blessed to have had the privilege to sink into this story. I think "Hearts" is a 'must' for anyone who is struggling with any form of self doubt, trauma, or mental/physical health trials. I'd hand this book willingly to anyone as young as twelve and upwards of a hundred and twelve. 

Thank-you Brittany for penning such a worthy and lovely story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment